• New Mexico picked up a commitment from Bayron Matos, a power forward/center in the class of 2020. Listed at both 6’8″ and 6’9″ depending on the source he has a strong frame doing most of his work down low getting put backs or making a move with his back to the basket. Rivals has him as an unranked 3 star, 247 Sports ranks him at #157 in the class, and he is an unranked four star on ESPN.
• Noah Taitz committed to Stanford for their third player in the class of 2020. Taitz is a 6’3″ guard that has deep range and is considered one of the better shooters in the class, but he also has the ability to put the ball on the floor and make plays as well as some solid athleticism. Taitz is ranked #147 by Rivals, #154 on 247 Sports, and #92 by ESPN.
• Second round pick Jaylen Hands will start the season in Long Island for the Nets G League affiliate. This is not a major surprise with Kyrie Irving being the starting point guard for Brooklyn, but Hands has the potential to work his way into a roster spot and stick in the league going forward.
• Former number one overall pick Anthony Bennett was competing for a roster spot with Houston in the hopes of making his comeback to the NBA, but that has been derailed due to injury. According to reports, Bennett will undergo knee surgery meaning he will have to wait another year if he is to get another shot at proving he belongs in the league.
• Killian Tillie will have knee surgery that could have him out for significant time but the hope is that he will return sometime this season. Tillie has the talent and frame that make him an draft prospect but injuries have prevented him from putting up the kind of production that teams look for.
• Liam Lloyd, a class of 2020 recruit, committed to Grand Canyon. Lloyd is a 6’5″ shooting guard who can shoot the ball at a high level to go with a good feel for the game when making plays from the wing. He is an unranked three star on Rivals while 247 Sports ranks him at #192 and ESPN does not have him in their rankings.
• Aron Bayne has broken his nose for the third time, which could cause him to miss some time, but not expected to be a significant amount of time given.
• The Pelicans held on an open practice/scrimmage, and 10,000 fans showed up for the occasion. This gives you an idea of the kind of draw Zion Williamson and other newcomers are in New Orleans with a fan base that is very excited for the upcoming season.
• The Warriors and the Lakers faced off in the preseason with Los Angeles taking the victory. Anthony Davis and Lebron James looked good in their debut together, while Golden State is obviously still figuring out how to play together with their very different roster heading into the season. Wins and losses do not mean much in the preseason but there was an interesting moment in the beginning of the game when Stephen Curry decided to hoist up a 40 foot three point attempt that did not go as planned:
Steph with the heat check 😂 pic.twitter.com/P3o1sUV6k6
— Warriors on NBCS (@NBCSWarriors) October 6, 2019