• Coby White went for 34 and 28 last week Syracuse and Clemson. The UNC freshman has bounced back after a down stretch to his season, and is looking like a first round pick. Head Coach Roy Williams collapsed during the Clemson game on Saturday but reports have said he is feeling better.
• Duke freshman and probable #1 pick in the draft, Zion Williamson missed his third consecutive game with a sprained knee suffered in the game against North Carolina. The other freshman stars RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish have played well enough in his absence to lead Duke to 2 wins and 1 loss, however point guard Tre Jones has continued to struggle in this back half of the season. As long as Williamson comes back in time for the NCAA tournament, Duke will be the favorite heading in.
• Markus Howard has continued to show that he should be in first round consideration. should he enter the draft this year. His size will always be a concern, but you can look to someone like Kemba Walker as proof that someone that height can be a starting point guard in the league. He dropped 33 and 25 last week, shooting 8 for 22 on 3 pointers.
• Tennessee got the best of Kentucky in their rematch following Kentucky’s win at home. The game at Tennessee was much different, with Grant Williams and Jordan Bone dominating the game. Many were questioning Tennessee’s legitimacy as a national title contender following the Kentucky loss, so this win will go a long way in helping their tournament resume.
• Fran Mccafery suspended was suspended 2 games for “Unsportsmanlike Conduct” for comments directed at a referee following the game against Ohio State. Speaking of Ohio State, they suspended buckeye leading scorer Kaleb Wesson, but he is expected to be back before the NCAA tournament, which Ohio State is currently on the bubble of getting in.
• The AP Top 25 and Coaches Poll were released. Gonzaga and UVA stayed in the top two spots as Tennessee moved in front of Kentucky following their win over the wildcats. LSU and Texas Tech moved into the top ten, while Houston and Marquette fell out.
• Some undervalued names that basketball fans should know: Lamine Diane, Nick Mayo, and Dylan Windler. Windler and Mayo get overshadowed due to Ja Morant playing in the OVC but the seniors have been putting up big numbers for multiple seasons now. If Diane gets his outside shot going, he is going to be scary to guard. The CSUN redshirt freshman had 22 and 12 against UC Riverside, and 25 and 7 against Hawaii.
• Obi Toppin is a name to watch for next year’s draft, assuming he returns to Dayton after this season. The freshman has been showing an all around game and athleticism that fits the NBA perfectly, however much like many other prospects he needs to work on his outside shot. He put up 26 points, 11 rebounds, and 7 assists against Rhode Island to go with 19 points and 8 rebounds against UMASS.
• Coby White ∧ 6
• Ignas Brazdeikis ∧ 5
• Moses Brown ∧ 5
• Admiral Schofield ∨ 5
• Eric Paschall ∨ 7
• Ashton Hagans ∨ 7