Week in review:
• Zion Williamson went down with a sprained knee in the game against North Carolina, and missed Duke’s game on Saturday. No timetable for his return has been announced yet, but he is expected back this season. Duke has already announced he will miss the Virginia Tech game on Tuesday.
• Kerwin Roach II was suspended indefinitely by Texas coach Shaka Smart. This is the third suspension that Roach II has faced in his time at Texas, bringing up more question marks on his decision making off the court. Roach II could return this season.
• Cameron Johnson continues to play well, he averaged 22 points and 8.5 rebounds in the last 2 games. As long as he keeps shooting the 3 point shot at almost 50% at 6’9″, his stock will keep trending upward. Teammates Coby White and Nassir Little are much flashier, but Johnson has been one of the most efficient shooters in college.
• PJ Washington had another great week, averaging 21 points and and 7 rebounds while shooting 7 of 12 (58.3%) from behind the arc. Definitely a player that has helped his stock in a big way by returning to school for his sophomore season.
• Carsen Edwards was struggling coming into last week, but he has not yet found his stroke. The Purdue junior went 1 for 20 (5%) on 3 pointers in the last 2 games and 17 for 40 (17.5%) from the field. He needs a strong finish to the season and a good showing in the NCAA tournament.
• Bennie Boatwright has been on fire for pretty much the entire month of February. He shot 9 for 16 (56.2 %) on 3’s last week, coming off of his performance the previous Saturday finishing with 10 3 pointers against California. He is an interesting prospect with his size and skill set, and is being overlooked by many big boards.
• Tre Jones has struggled with his shot all season, but last week it only got worse. He shot 3 for 23 (13%) from the field last week, and 2 for 13 (15.4%) on 3 pointers. His defense and overall court leadership as a point guard will keep him in first round consideration should he leave Duke after this season, but his shot needs to improve.
• Cameron young followed up his 55 point performance with 30 and 25. At 6’6″ with his shooting ability and skill set, he has done nothing but move up in our rankings this season. If Qunnipiac makes the NCAA tournament, Young is a name that basketball fans could get to know very well.
• Every few games Nassir Little gives us a glimpse into what he could be at the next level. His inconsistency is not all on Little’s shoulders due to the fact that he does not control his playing time or lack their of. Little only scored 2 points and played 11 minutes at Duke, but then scored 18 points to go with 8 rebounds in only 21 minutes of play against Florida State.
• If defense is your thing, we highly suggest you watch Washington the next time you come across them on your tv. Matisse Thybulle is a beast on the defensive side of the ball, and has been all season. Last week in 2 games, the senior had a combined 12 steals and 9 blocks. As impressive as the steals are, the 9 blocks from a 6’5″ guard is an even greater feat.
• Jaxson Hayes +10
• Cameron Young +7
• Cameron Johnson +6
• Chuma Okeke +5
• Admiral Schofield +5
• Zylan Cheatham -9
• Tre Jones -7
• Carsen Edwards -5